***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Why does it feel "good" to hurt your gums and teeth?

Found on the Internet: Right now I'm idly sticking a toothpick between two of my molars, really jamming it in there so it squeezes against the gums and the flesh between the teeth. It hurts, but it's also quite pleasurable. I know I'm not alone in this either - other people have said they feel the same way.

When I was a kid and I'd get a loose tooth, I'd just keep wiggling and wiggling it until eventually it came out. Because I liked the sensation of it. It's hard to put into words. It's definitely pain. But I wouldn't just prick my arm with a toothpick for no reason. I don't get any pleasure out of that whatsoever, nor on any other part of my body. But for some reason, poking my gums with sharp objects makes me feel good.

Why is this?

And it's not so much the outer areas of the gums - it's really just the parts of the gums that are right between or around the teeth.

Teeth Cleaning
The Wizard's best guess: I would think it's similar to the endorphin release that some folks who are cutters, (I admit I am a cutter - though haven't cut in a long while), who deliberately cause pain to release endorphins, causing pleasure. For me it was because that was ALL I could feel, without the pain, I felt nothing. This is not uncommon for bi-polar folks like me... So, generally, on those people whose gums have receded, exposing more of the inside of the gum to the acids in the mouth, results in swollen gums. These then in turn hurt when massaged or poked with a toothpick, for example, creating pain, which then releases endorphins, to mask the pain. Kind of like your own built in pain killer. This also may happen when you get your teeth cleaned.

Well that's my 2 cents. Have a different opinion? Make a comment!

No comments: