***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Randall Andrew Husack

Randall Andrew Husack
Randall Andrew Husack
Randall was my best friend. We lived down the street from each other. I met him when I was in grade 7, he was in grade 4. The age gap never bothered us.

Randy and I had a fort in the bush surrounding my parent's place, and we spent a lot of time there, looking at girly mags (I preferred Hustler as they had photos that had men in them) and yes pleasuring ourselves. We eventually discovered how to pleasure each other, if you know what I mean... ;) That kept on for a few years...

Once I had told him about this boy I thought was cute. He betrayed my confidence and told a friend who had an older brother, which the direct result was to me getting beat up super bad then.

We used to play "PAYDAY", with the same game continuing for months on end. We figured out if we eliminated the paper money, we could both play forever using calculators. These were accounting ones, the ones that used to have the paper. We were ahead of the time, our sort of cashless society as it were. Randy had a shuffleboard table, a bar and a jukebox in the basement as well. We used to be pretty good at shuffleboard and the juke was filled with music from the 60's and 70's. We used to sing along to "Little Arrows" by by Leapy Lee, and dance together to the Bee Gees. First time I heard "To Love Somebody".

I remember one winter, we discovered that you could layer Pear liqueur and 1/2 and 1/2 cream. WE got blasted on those and would dive into the snow banks, jumping off from the front step. LOL, what fun!.

We used to look forward to "Charleswood in Motion Days" and I remember he convinced me to ride The Zipper with him. I was completely frightened. He held my hand during the entire scary ride. (Keep in mind I am 3 years older than him, lol)

We used to suntan in his back yard, we'd both strip down to our shorts, smoke some weed, and lie in the sun, I remember "Sunny Days" by Lighthouse... totally fit us. That's when I found out Randy had 2 webbed toes. Cool! We would drink his dad's liquor. That combined with the grass, meant for a very fun strange day.

In another story I mentioned "Roderick", who lives in my head... Well he would convince Randy and me to do crazy things. We tried LSD, PCP, and Special K as well as uppers and downers. Randy was so cute when he was tripping. Also there was a house being built next door and we'd kick in some Buffalo Board and laugh when the construction guys returned. We biked to near Polo Park and stashed them in the trees, We waited at the edge of the train bridge that ran the BNSF line across the Assiniboine River. When we heard a train coming we'd pop a couple of acid papers and rush up to the bridge, trying to out run the train. We couldn't and we just made it to the track step-offs just as the train blasted by. Barely room for both of us on the bridge.. This was the first time I told Randy I wanted to die. (To this day, all this.. I put the blame on Roderick...)

Randy and I went to a whole lot of concerts together. Trooper, like 5 or 6 times, Saga (where we smuggled in lemon gin and got toasted during the concert), Prism, KISS, Teenage Head (on acid), "Love that Frankie Venom!), Streetheart (The last concert they did - at Hagar's on Pembina Hwy), Journey, Boomtown Rats, Mötley Crüe, Styx, The Guess Who, Twisted Sister... I think that's most of them. Randy was a fantastic partyier!

We both had CB radios... my handle was Evergreen Base and Randy was The Sherrif of Nottingham, Sherrif of Nott or simply Sherrif. We talked late on most evenings.

We were in the photo club together between 1978 and 1980. The majority of pictures in Through The Looking Glass yearbook were shot by and developed by us. Also a dark room is a great place to muck around. ;-)

Randall and I were inseparable.  Over the years, Randall and I would love to go camping - ok, it was mostly for drinking. I'd get some beer and we'd pack up and head to Clear Lake. We got physical once  on our trips. I remember one day was pouring rain, so we couldn't set up the tent. We just stayed in the car, listening to music and drinking beer. At the time, I don't know and will never know if Randall was gay, me neither, but I was pretty sure I liked doing this with guys. (I had 3 girlfriends, and never quite felt right).

So anywho, Randy and me got busy every night for 2 weeks. That was the end of our close contact as he had a girlfriend, Penny. In any case what  happened at Clear Lake stayed at Clear Lake. We never talked about it again.

Randy worked at the same restaurant as me, Gondola. I was a cook/driver and he had to be a cook, as he didn't have a license at that time. This is where he met Penny, I believe.

I miss you Randall, with all may heart. I'm sad that you died by your own hand. But I hope you found happiness there, where you were unable to find it alive. I blame it on your asshole dad. That's right Ed... I think you drove him to suicide. I don't think either of his parents liked me. Hugs and kisses, Randy. I still love you. You were my gentle giant.

Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end,
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it, a year is gone.
And I never see my old friends face,
For life is a swift and terrible race,
He knows I like him just as well,
As in the days when I rang his bell.
And he rang mine but we were younger then,
And now we are busy, tired men.

Tired of playing a foolish game,
Tired of trying to make a name.
'Tomorrow' I say! 'I will call on him
Just to show that I'm thinking of him.'
But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes,
And distance between us grows and grows.
Around the corner, yet miles away,
'Here's a telegram sir,' 'Randy died today.'
And that's what we get and deserve in the end.
Around the corner, a vanished friend.

Here is his obituary:

DATE OF PASSING: SEP 29, 2008

RANDY HUSACK 1965 - 2008 We are deeply saddened to announce the sudden passing of Randall Andrew Husack on Monday, September 29. He will be deeply missed by his son Evan, father Ed (Carol) and brother Ethan, mother Sylvia (Norm), sister Lori (Chad) and nephew Desmond. A private family celebration of Randy's life has already been held. Rest Peacefully Gentle Soul :'(

As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on Oct 04, 2008

No comments: