***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Wednesday, September 02, 2026

The Last Bus

The Last Bus

It was a normal Friday night.I had just finished a late shift at the grocery store and was exhausted. The last bus home was supposed to leave at 11:45 p.m.

I checked my phone.

11:32.

Perfect.

I walked to the bus stop, just a few blocks from the store.

The stop was empty, except for one other person.

A woman.

She stood at the far end of the shelter, wearing a long, dark coat and a wool hat pulled low over her face.

I didn't think much of it.

People are weird, especially at night.

I sat down on the bench and pulled my hood up. The wind was cold, and the streetlight above me flickered.

I glanced at my watch.

11:47.

Still no bus.

I checked the schedule on my phone.

The next bus wasn't until 12:42 a.m.

That couldn't be right.

I looked up at the road.

There was no sign of the bus.

And the woman was gone.

I stood up, annoyed, and started walking toward the main road to see if I could get a taxi.

As I passed the bus shelter, I noticed something strange.

The woman was still there.

She hadn't moved.

But when I got closer, I realized she wasn't wearing a hat anymore.

Her face was pale.

Her eyes were completely black.

And she was smiling.

I froze.

She didn't speak.

She simply smiled and tilted her head slightly, as if inviting me to sit down.

I backed away.

Then I ran.

I didn't stop until I reached the main road.

I didn't look back.

When I finally got home, I checked the time.

2:17 a.m.

I told myself it had been a trick of the light.

That I was tired.

That I'd imagined it.

But the next morning, I found a note taped to my front door.

It was written in the same shaky handwriting as the bus schedule.

There were only six words:

The next bus is always on time.

I threw the note away.

I didn't take the bus again.

Not for weeks.

Then, one night, I got home from work and found another note beneath my apartment door.

This one said:

You missed it again.

I stopped sleeping properly after that.

Every night, sometime between 11:45 and midnight, I heard a bus outside my apartment.

I lived six blocks from the nearest bus route.

There wasn't supposed to be a bus anywhere near my building.

But every night I heard it.

The hiss of air brakes.

The squeal of tyres.

Then three knocks against my front door.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

I never opened it.

Until last night.

At 11:47, the knocking started.

Three slow knocks.

I looked through the peephole.

The hallway was empty.

Then I heard a woman's voice.

“Your bus is here.”

I stepped away from the door.

The voice continued.

“You've been waiting a long time.”

I heard the sound of an engine outside.

I looked out my window.

There was a bus parked on the street.

Its destination display didn't show a route number.

It simply said:

HOME

The doors opened.

And the woman stepped off.

She looked up directly at my window.

Even from four floors above, I could see her black eyes.

She smiled.

Then she raised one hand.

Behind her, the bus lights flickered.

And I saw dozens of people sitting inside.

Every one of them was staring at my apartment.

Then I noticed something that made my blood run cold.

One of the passengers looked exactly like me.

He was sitting beside the window.

Wearing the same clothes I was wearing.

He raised his hand.

And waved.

The woman smiled wider.

Then she pointed toward the empty seat beside him.

My phone suddenly buzzed.

A text message appeared.

LAST STOP: 11:47 P.M.

I looked at the clock.

11:47.

The bus doors opened again.

And this time, I heard my own voice coming from outside.

“Come on.”

I haven't left my apartment.

I'm writing this from inside my bedroom with the door locked.

But I can hear footsteps coming up the stairs.

Slowly.

One floor at a time.

Second floor.

Third.

Then fourth.

The footsteps have stopped outside my door.

There are three knocks.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

And now I can hear the woman whispering through the door.

“Last stop.”

The door handle is turning.

I don't think the bus wants me anymore.

I think it wants the other me.

And I can hear him laughing outside.

Source: Some or all of the content was generated using an AI language model

No comments: