***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Linux is 30 Years old today!

 

Happy 30th Birthday Linux!

Thirty years ago today, Linus Torvalds announced his free operating system to the world. As with many of the world’s greatest, Linux had humble beginnings as a very small pet project. The GNU was working on an ambitious free, public domain operating system but the project had been delayed, and enthusiasts were quick to adopt Linus’ new project. Over the years Linux has grown into a globally available, free software base that has remained largely resilient to interference from individual governments, corporations, and academic institutions. Linux enhances the lives of billions of people around the world, running in everything from server computers to smartphones, to embedded devices.


Today we celebrate thirty years of Linux and the worldwide free, open source software movement that has developed and grown along with the operating system; and we make a toast to Linus and the thing that he started. Happy birthday Linux!

*From ubuntu.com

*Wizard's Note: I myself have used Ubuntu Linux for 12 years. My how that time has flown. I have not used Windows at home since then. In addition to my Ubuntu desktop, I have a laptop with Ubuntu and another with Puppy Linux, which was my first exposure to Linux. I do have a tablet that I don't use anymore. Just have to figure out how to remove Windows 10 - It's a phablet - Windows 10/Android its not possible, then I will destroy the OS and recycle it. Alternatively, If I can reset the Windows partition I will sell it as an Windows/Android tablet, assuming it will still boot , lol.

No comments: