***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Thursday, October 15, 2020

A poem written by: Safia Qadir


A big day today for my daughter to perform

Middle east is where I am originally from

I am dressed well, henna tattooed, got my hijab on

“Mam I need you to step aside, this way come on” (Burke, & Ciechalski, 2019)

She says take that thing off or go home instead

While the white men walk with hats on head

They think hijab is a symbol of subjugation (Beckmann, 2014)

No, I wear for Islam, that’s my situation

People like me are always so hated

When I wear a veil, I am discriminated (Beckmann, 2014)

I can’t cover my body, my skin, such a shame

A brown Muslim woman is who I am

Higher police abuse for us than women white (Coles, 2020)

No matter what we are always in their sight

All this movement for George Floyd (Coles, 2020)

Don’t they see my life was also destroyed

I have no rights like a typical American woman (Coles, 2020)

They popped me in my house like a soda can

An illegal traffic stop that ended bad (Montgomery, 2019)

Got locked up and I was feeling so sad

I was shopping for new job last few weeks

Now I lay dead in jail, my body reeks

They say I was mentally ill, what a sham

An average black woman is who I am

My field surgent treated me as a low class

My dreams all shattered like a broken glass

How come I am not protected on this land?

When I go missing no one takes a stand (Diaz, et al, 2020)

I served my country, to it I was obedient

But it matters not, I am from Latin descent

My life doesn’t matter, I am treated like trash

Everything changes for me with in a flash

I don’t even feel safe at my own house

They are after me like a cat after mouse

When I am raped and killed, no one gives a damn

A woman of color is who I am.

No comments: