***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Saturday, May 02, 2020

Snack Lunches

I put my carry-on  in the luggage compartment and sat down in my  assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight.  'I'm glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I  will get a short nap,' I  thought.

Just before  take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle  and filled all the vacant seats, totally  surrounding me. I decided to start a  conversation.
 
'Where are you  headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to  me.
'Camp Petawawa. We'll be  there for two weeks for special training, and  then we're being deployed to Afghanistan.   
 
After flying for  about an hour, an announcement was made that  snack lunches were available for five dollars.  It would be several hours before we reached the  east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help  pass the  time...
 
As I reached for my  wallet, I overheard a soldier ask his buddy if  he planned to buy lunch.  'No, that seems  like a lot of money for just a snack lunch.  Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks.   I'll wait till we get to  base.'
 
His friend  agreed.
 
I looked around at  the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I  walked to the back of the plane and handed the  flight attendant a fifty dollar bill.   'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She  grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes  wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a  soldier in Iraq  ; it's almost like you are doing it for  him.'
 
Picking up ten  snacks, she headed up the aisle to where the  soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and  asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or  chicken?'
'Chicken,' I  replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and  went to the front of plane, returning a minute  later with a dinner plate from first  class.
 
'This is your  thanks.'
 
After we finished  eating, I went again to the back of the plane,  heading for the rest  room.A  man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to  be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me  twenty-five  dollars..
 
Soon after I  returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain  coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle  numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking  for me, but noticed he was looking at the  numbers only on my side of the plane. When he  got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his  hand and said, 'I want to shake your hand.'  Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took  the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he  said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military  pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was  an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was  embarrassed when applause was heard from all of  the  passengers.
 
Later I walked to  the front of the plane so I could stretch my  legs. A man who was seated about six rows in  front of me reached out his hand, wanting to  shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars  in my  palm.
 
When we landed I  gathered my belongings and started to deplane.  Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man  who stopped me, put something in my shirt  pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a  word. Another twenty-five  dollars!
 
Upon entering the  terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their  trip to the  base.
I walked over to  them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It  will take you some time to reach the  base.It will be  about time for a  sandwich.
God Bless  You.'
 
Ten young men left  that flight feeling the love and respect of  their fellow  travelers.
 
As I walked briskly  to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe  return. These soldiers were giving their all for  our country... I could only give them a couple of  meals. It seemed so  little...
 
A veteran is  someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a  blank check made payable to '  Canada  ' for an amount of 'up to and including my  life.'
 
That is Honor, and  there are way too many people in this country  who no longer understand  it.' 

No comments: