***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Monday, August 24, 2015

Me and My Ubuntu

I started in my computing life, like most others. Windows. Started with 3.11, paid again for Windows 95, then 98, (even Millennium!!), Windows XP, Widows Vista (say it isn't so!!) and finally Windows 7. That was a heck of a lot of money. I had looked at Ubuntu with Jaunty. It was interesting, but I found it hard yo understand and the file system kept getting corrupt (Hello fsck!!!). I had loaded Jaunty on dual boot with Windows.

I went like that for a while when my Windows partition got corrupted, resulting in needing a reinstall of the OS. I wiped Ubuntu off at the same time. A little while later, I decided to revive my old Windows Me laptop. 500 MHz Celeron, 512 MB Ram. Since I couldn't update it, I put Puppy Linux on it. Lucid I think. In any case it purred along quite nicely, thank you very much! Well, soon Puppy Linux bit me. I got a new all in one computer from a friend that needed a hard disk. I had no copy of Windows to work with it so I explored putting Puppy on it as well.

I decided why would I do that. I decided to look at Ubuntu again. While I was installing Lucid Lynx on the new computer, I immediately put my Windows box up for sale. I have not used a Windows product outside of a virtual machine, and have never looked back. I really love the performance, stability, and customization of Ubuntu. Only thing I needed Widows for was to sync my Zune (Yes, I was the one who bought that!). Now I have a Zen and no longer need anything Microsoft any more.

Screenshot of my Ubuntu
My Ubuntu screen. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Lonf term support) - FREE I might add!

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 on an HP TouchSmart PC, Intel ® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T5850 (2.16GHz), 4096MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM, and a 1.5TB hard disk. Way more than I need as far as power goes. I love Ubuntu. I don't like Windows. I use Unity and am quite happy with that. I have a saying I go by... Linux is NOT Windows, It does not WANT to be, Don't try to MAKE it be!

I've included a recent screen shot as well. Some people may think it's cluttered but I don't. But that's just me. Me and MY Ubuntu.

No comments: