***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Friday, October 28, 2011

Lucid Puppy Linux 5.2 (a.k.a. puppy linux)**

I was surfing (I rarely do that!), and stumbled upon puppy Linux. Designed to 'renew' older PC's with a fast and easy to run version of 'mini-Linux'. You can run this right off the CD by booting up with it. It works in RAM. And it doesn't need much!

There are 2 other ways to use puppy. One is a 'frugal' install, where 3 files get put on a hard disk and the rest runs in RAM again. The other (the one I chose), is the 'Full' install, (Full is around 100MB, depending upon what you put with it).

I installed puppy Linux on an old Gateway laptop from 1999, which is a 500 MHz Celeron CPU, 192 MB RAM, and a 10GiB hard disk. It was about a 15 minute operation and rebooted and BOOM - 25 seconds later I was at the desktop!

All I am doing is buying another 256 MB RAM to replace my 64 MB, totaling a whopping 384 MB! I highly recommend this for those of you that have an old laptop gathering dust. The previous operating system was the sad Windows Me... not sorry to see that go! Plus not likely to get viruses running Linux. Its a total win win win situation!

Download lucid puppy today! Barry's Blog (Barry is the developer and genius behind puppy Linux)

Puppy Linux Screenshot Puppy Linux Screenshot Puppy Linux Screenshot Some screenshots of my lucid puppy desktop - click on any of them for a larger picture

**Linux is NOT Windows, doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

No comments: