***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Friday, March 26, 2010

Even More Tobacco Tax!

Saskatchewan budget out - increasing tobacco tax by 2.7 cents per cigarette...

here is the breakdown on a carton of Canadian Cigarettes:

Manufacturers price: $18.50

Provincial Tax: $41.38

Federal Tax and Duty: $20.49

Total Cost to smokers: $80.37 / .40 per cigarette.


Assuming 1 pack per day is $10/day or $3650.00 per year, of which tax accounts for $2822.80 or about 77% of the total cost of the smokes!

Note this doesn't include the stores markup!

Mr. Butts is sad!

Woe be to me. But I don't cost the Health Care system $3,000.00 per year. OK so you are going to say that they are banking the tax so that the taxes will help pay for my health costs when cigarettes do make me sick enough to start costing the system money.

I am 47 and say that I continue to smoke one pack a day until I am 75 (Assuming I live that long), then NOT including the taxes I have already paid thus far (I have smoked since I was 18 or 29 years, happily paying my sin taxes on my smokes...), I will be 'banking' 28 years worth of taxes or about $79,038.40. I figure whatever I do not use should be given back to my estate when I do die.

What do you think? Make a comment!

1 comment:

Daryn said...

lol, you're so cool my friend!!! *hug* yes I agree the gov spends too much money foolishly