***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Odd News


Home Depot Apologizes to Pencil Thief

Home Depot METHUEN, Mass. - Home Depot Inc. apologized to a carpenter who was banned by the chain worldwide after he absent-mindedly pocketed a pencil he had used up to do some quick math. Michael Panorelli, 51, of Lawrence, was accused of shoplifting from the Methuen store last Thursday and banned from Home Depots. Panorelli was with a client and had just bought some lumber when the client picked up the pencil sitting next to a cash register for Panorelli to use. Panorelli pocketed the pencil and was met in the parking lot by a worker who asked for identification. The worker presented Panorelli with one letter saying he was banned from Home Depot, and another advising that he would be hearing from the company's lawyers. Panorelli took his story to the Eagle-Tribune newspaper in Lawrence, which published it over the weekend. On Sunday, Atlanta-based Home Depot issued a written apology, saying the incident was prompted by a narrow interpretation of its shoplifting prevention rules. "We will not be pursuing any claims against Mr. Panorelli for this incident," the statement said. "We welcome Mr. Panorelli back as a customer in our stores at any time." But the carpenter said he had no intention of doing business there again, adding, "Why should I put money in someone's pocket when they treat me like this?" 
 
*YAHOO! News

Rugby fan tells how he lost his tackle A Welsh rugby fan has spoken out about how he hacked off his own testicles after his team beat England. Geoffrey Huish, 31, took an agonising ten minutes to perform the op using a pair of blunt wire cutters, says the Sun. Then he put his severed parts in a blue plastic bag and staggered to a social club to tell fellow Wales fans what he'd done. Jobless Geoffrey finally collapsed with blood pouring from his groin as horrified drinkers put his testicles in a pint glass of ice. They were handed to paramedics who rushed him to hospital - but surgeons could not sew them back. Geoffrey, of Senghenydd, spent several months in a psychiatric unit as experts tried to fathom his actions. He said: “I’d told my pal Gethin Probert before the game that Wales didn’t stand a chance. It wasn’t a bet, but I said I’d cut my balls off if we won... “So I started hacking away at my tackle. It took about ten minutes and there was quite a lot of pain — but I just kept going. “The cutters were blunt so I had to keep snipping. I cut my penis as well. There was a lot of blood but not as much as you would expect.” He added: “I think about what happened every day and still haven’t come up with a good reason why. I’d had a lot going on and felt a bit down. I can’t have kids now, but still want a family. Maybe I’ll adopt.”

*Ananova

No comments: