***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Friday, January 22, 2010

"You're Net Ahead..."

SGI logoThe other day, someone broke the driver's side window of my car. I made the claim thru Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI), as they have my policy.

Total cost of the claim: $352.29
Total Deductible: $200.00
Net cost to SGI: $ 152.29

I pay a yearly premium to lower my deductible on Glass and general accident, otherwise it would be a $700.00 deductible. This extra insurance costs $180.82 in addition to the $744.00 that I pay for the basic insurance. I also have Road Hazard on Glass with a deductible of $100.00.

While dealing with the adjuster for the claim I was surprised when she told me, "Well you are net ahead!", when I had expressed disappointment that the $100.00 deductible is just for stones, and wildlife glass breakage. The broken window in this case falls under the $200.00 deductible.

I said, "What do you mean, 'Net Ahead'?

She said, "well, if you didn't have the additional insurance it would have cost you the full $352.29 as your deductible would have been $700.00."

Hmm, I thought, So, I am supposed to feel good at the fact that I "saved $152.29... Well, the way math works for me, I see I am still out $200.00. So that is not what I would call 'Net Ahead'. This was not my fault and yet it cost me $200 bucks and lost time to get the window replaced and other inconveniences.

Only someone in the insurance industry would call this a 'Net Ahead'!!!

Not to mention, that I no longer have "Claims Free Status" and my premium will likely rise for the next 3 years until I am "Claims Free" again. HMMMMF!

No comments: