***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

My Bad Boss Contest

WorkingAmerica.org is seeking entries for its "My Bad Boss" contest and is having no trouble finding worthy candidates. This summer, one winner will be crowned from among five semifinalists. Here are the first two: 

Millionaire Dentist Stole from Employees on 9/11 By Cat Scratch Never mind that the dentist I worked for was the cheapest bastard in the world (trying to get out of paying me for a mandatory meeting by arguing that he paid for lunch), and that he was unethical (prescribing painkillers to addicted patients in exchange for pricy dental procedures they didn't need). Never mind all that. Dr. X proved himself to be the worst kind of person imaginable during the week of 9/11. That day, the patients all canceled their appointments. Perfectly understandable, if you ask me: There's a national tragedy, and the last thing on anyone's mind is their oral health. But this meant no income for Dr. X. His response? Taking $100 out of every employee's paycheck. Mind you, we were paid hourly, not based on production. In the wake of a travesty that should bring out the best in people, he had the audacity to steal money from his own employees. Not that it was even necessary. Dr. X earned over a million dollars a year. He owned a mansion. Did he really need my $13/hour that badly? Apparently so. I promptly quit. Lucky for me, a better job was around the corner. As for Dr. X--his karma will catch up with him. 

People Commit Suicide Every Day By Wounded Healer, Michigan "He paints by the number," was the excuse I was given when I wanted to okay a psychiatric hospital stay for a patient who was out of state. My patient was a veteran suffering from trauma triggered by watching news coverage of the war in Iraq. He had been taken to emergency and when they called for authorization, my boss said they cost too much. I tried to get the hospital to bring the price down. So, they discharged my patient after making him put $5,000 on his credit card. I tried to get the money back for him and get my boss to okay paying the hospital. It went back and forth for too long. The patient committed suicide. He shot himself in the head. I couldn't quit crying when I heard and took the rest of the day off. I used my personal time to do it. My boss complained to my supervisor. He said, "I don't know why she had to take the day off. People commit suicide everyday." I no longer work there. I'm in therapy now.

No comments: