The purpose of using the key is to name the creature shown. Stick with one character until the name is reached,
then go to the next.
• A dichotomous key gives instructions in pairs of statements.
• With each character, start with the first pair of statements.
• Decide which description describes your chosen character best and follow the line to the right.
• There will either be a number or a name. If it is a number, go to the pair of steps with that
number, for example, if the number is 3, go to steps 3a and 3b.
• If the line ends in a name you have identified your character, so write it down by the creature.
• Continue until each creature has a name. There is only one creature per name, and no creature has two names.
Click here for the exercise. Note ANSWERS ON THE LAST PAGE of the PDF. NO CHEATING!