***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Friday, September 02, 2016

The Experimental Operation

Tess, an earnest 8-year-old, was worried. Her little brother was very sick and she overheard her mom crying on the phone: "They say his only chance is an experimental operation, but it isn’t covered by insurance. There’s no way we can pay for it.”

Tess went to her jar containing all the money she’d saved. Although she wasn’t supposed to go to a store alone, this was an emergency. She walked four blocks to the drugstore that her mom got medicine from and went to the counter. The pharmacist was deeply engaged in a conversation.

Finally, Tess said, "Excuse me, this is an emergency."

"What do you need?” the pharmacist snapped. "I’m talking to my brother whom I haven’t seen in years."

Tess replied, "Well, I have a brother, too, and he’s going to die if you don’t sell me an experimental operation."

The pharmacist softened, but said, "I’m sorry, we don’t sell operations here."

Overhearing the exchange, his brother asked the girl, "What kind of operation do you need?"

"To take sick lumps out of his brain," Tess answered. "I have money." She poured her savings onto the counter.

The brother said, "That may be just enough."

After talking with Tess’s mom, the nationally renowned neurosurgeon took the case and successfully performed the complex operation at no charge.

This is my version of a story circulating on the Internet. Even if it’s not true, it’s a wonderful parable about what happens when caring is turned into action.

*This is Michael Josephson reminding you that character counts.

No comments: