***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Monday, August 22, 2016

Minitube - One of The Wizard's Favourite Apps

The following article was written by The Wizard of 'OZ' and sent for inclusion to "Full Circle Magazine"

MINITUBE

I have been using Linux since Jaunty. I was wanting to try Ubuntu, but was tethered to Windows. But when I received a nice widescreen all in one I took the plunge. Never have looked back and am enjoying Xenial (16.04 LTS)

I have quite a few programs that I run on my PC, so many of them equal to or better than their Windows/MAC counterparts. The choices out there are so great, it's hard to write about just one. My favourite part is being able to get an application for free, test it, keep it or look for another that suits me better,

So I managed to whittle this down. I am writing about Minitube. You hooked on youtube? This app is for you. I use this app daily and its the one entertainment app I would miss.

The interface is super simple with just three buttons to get you going, Search, Browse and Subscriptions. The search screen is simple and minimalistic, with auto complete helping you save keyboard clicks.
Minitube search
Minitube search
Browse allows you to look at what's trending on Youtube, split into clickable categories. I actually don't use the browse function as I don't usually just surf YouTube, as I usually know what I'm looking for, so i use Search and Subscriptions buttons.
Minitube browse
Minitube browse
So you search for what you want to watch, and when you click on the result; it opens in the main Subscription window. If you would like to save this and other videos by the same creator, just click Video in top menu and “subscribe” to the creator. All videos available for that author, and on the subscription page an thumbnail will appear and it will have a numbered notification of unwatched videos by that creator.

When you then choose the thumbnail, all videos will be on the left with a thumbnail and the title, length etc.
Minitube subscriptions
Minitube subscriptions
Playback can be set to auto or manual. I use manual as I don't necessarily want to watch all videos in order newest to oldest. Or not at all. So I choose manual. I also set playback to 720P, as that works well with my 23 inch display, and standard video card, GeForce 9300M. The video is crisp even full screen mode. (Of course if the video is recorded at very low resolution, it likely won't get any better, though in my daily use that is rare)
Minitube playback
Minitube playback

Minitube full screen
Minitube full screen
Though this is not an application exclusively for Linux, (it's ported for Windows), It is still free, but not “free as in Beer” You accept the agreement and can donate if you like. I paid $10. I use it daily.

I wholeheartedly recommend this simple, but effective application.

Download http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube
Full Circle Magazine

No comments: