***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Monday, January 11, 2010

Touch-Screen Smackdown: iPod touch vs. Zune HD


The Wizard just bought a Zune HD Platinum. This is a really cool device! Thought I would share a review on how it stacks up against the iPod touch:

From PCMag.com, by Tim Gideon and Wendy Sheehan Donnell

Apple or Microsoft? The battle moves to your pocket with two new top-notch, touch-screen media players. Which one is right for you?


Microsoft's long-awaited Zune HD is finally here, and just in time to do battle with the latest iPod touch. The big question: Which touch-screen portable media player reigns supreme?

It's a close race, but technically, today, the touch has the edge, given its broad versatility: More than 75,000 easily downloadable apps can transform Apple's player into a full-fledged mini-computer. The Zune Marketplace, on the other hand, only offers a handful of add-on programs right now, but that's likely to change. Apart from the apps, the latest Zune is a smartly designed, well-executed device that keeps a sharp focus on music, video, and the Web. And it's the best non-Apple PMP you'll find. (After all, iPods aren't for everyone.)

So which of these pocket-size media powerhouses is right for you? Check out our full reviews of the iPod touch and the Zune HD (linked below) for the in-depth scoop on everything these devices can do. If you just want a quick, side-by-side rundown of the major features, take a look at our comparison chart. And check out our hands-on, head-to-head video to see the iPod touch and the Zune HD in action.

Compare the Zune HD and iPod touch features side by side.

I read the review and for the most part it is spot on. The zune software is just ok in my books, but it is easy to use and is functional. I have an 8 GB older Zune and I had decided that since that version of the software was already on my PC (running Windows 7), that I would see what would happen. Exactly as I had anticipated, Windows 7 identified the Zune and installed the basic driver. The Zune software loaded and was ready to update to the new version. I updated and that went quite well and easy. It came up with the usual configurations, ie. where I want the monitored folders etc. The cool thing was that I now have 2 Zunes connectable to my Zune software and the software identifies them both properly. I have different settings for both the Zune 8GB and the Zune HD 32. Picture quality is awesome, oled better than lcd, and touch screen is quick and responsive. My virtual keyboard works horizontally as do the pictures and videos. I had an argument with a co-worker and they said that their iPod Touch was significantly better. Hmmm. I am no Apple hater (I own a MAC), but my Zune HD is a really good device and does exactly what I want it to… subjectively speaking… I use it for music, family videos, and family pictures —> the Zune HD 32 is way up to the task! And good looks don’t hurt either! The Zune HD is NOT an iPod. It was NOT meant to be one!

No comments: