***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Pink Spotlight on Robaire Watson


Confessions of a Sailor

My name is Robaire Watson and this is about a positive perception on Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. My story isn’t dramatic, heart wrenching or requires any sympathy. It’s about setting myself apart from the rest of the crowd. “Confessions of a Sailor”!

The Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy was introduced as a compromise measure in 1993 to allow all citizens regardless of sexual orientation to serve in the military, a departure from the then complete ban on those who are not heterosexual.The Pink Spotlight

I will admit that the circumstances behind me being openly gay in the military during my enlistment, wasn’t the norm. That’s the part of my story that makes it intriguing. I was openly gay in the military and I have friends to back up my story. I spent six years (1989-1995) in the navy serving on the USS Kansas City and traveling around the world.

When referring to the term “openly gay” in the military, for me that meant that my command & navy base personnel were aware of my sexual preference. Several of my shipmates & crew members aboard the USS Kansas City, either asked me about being gay or mentioned it in a casual conversation. This also includes the lives of all my gay friends aboard the ship. There was no hiding in a closet or serving in silence! I wasn’t keeping it on the down low.

There was no need for a contingency plan during my enlistment. No one needed to report me for coming out. It was about “Being Who I Wanted Be”! There have been very few gay people who can say that about their military career. It’s doubtful that any of those individuals can actually say they were openly gay in the military.

I was the one and only barber onboard the ship. A psychologist with a comb and a set of clippers.Robaire Watson This is why I was able to interact so well with the entire crew of the USS Kansas City as it traveled the seas promoting freedom during the Gulf War in 1990-91 and Operation Southern Watch–off the coast of Somalia in 1993, traveling to Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Philippines, Dubai, Jebel Ali, UAE, British Columbia and Mexico.

We in the gay community deplore a symbol of segregation within the gay culture, while projecting the symbol of diversity. We can’t have it both ways!

The top gay newspapers & magazines in this country don’t want me telling my story. Is it because I’m black or does it have something to do with having a story that’s totally different than everyone else? That same old story about being discharged from the military for being gay. What about the openly gay military man who wasn’t discharged for being gay?

Why not change the tactic that has been used for the last 16 years? There have been a lot of stories in the media about former gay military personnel. Most of those stories where dramatic and others where looking for 15 minutes of fame. Bring an enlightening story to the forefront, for the public to read.

My commanding officer told me that some may not find a gay man serving in the military to be ethical, but he found it to be exceptional. The executive officer of the command said that me being gay, brought style & creativity to my department. During a brief conversation with my division officer, he ask me: “how long had I been out”? I informed him that I came out when I was 19 years old. It felt great having my entire chain of command be supportive about my sexual preference.

While being in the navy. I dated a Lieutenant who was a diver, stationed at the NAS Alameda Dive Locker.  There was my boyfriend who was a Marine First-Lieutenant at Treasure Island Naval Station. The Ensign I briefly dated who was aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln and a Captain in the US Army, stationed at Oakland Army Base.

None of the commissioned officers I was involved with were openly gay on their commands. It’s unfortunate, all were wonderful men. If Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell is overturned, then there wont be any need to hide. We all are hoping that the pentagon’s findings are conclusive and this law will be thrown out.

If other gay men & women can be themselves and serve without prejudice. Isn’t that our common goal?

I’ve contacted various famous gay military veterans through out the United States. Some were gracious and a couple of them didn’t even want to talk with me. Then there were a few who wouldn’t even answer my email. What does this say about helping to overturn DADT? We all have worn a uniform and served this country. It doesn’t matter if you were an officer or enlisted, no one has the right to act like an elitist.

There has been more than 12,500 people discharged from the military since DADT was implemented. There are over 65,000 gay and lesbians serving in the military. Let’s bring these individuals a positive message. So that we can make a change.

*Robaires.com: Be Who You Want to Be™
We don’t have to ask, and we don’t have to tell
http://robaires.com/



Posted on ubuntu Linux posted on ubuntu Linux

No comments: