***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Friday, April 03, 2009

Homophobia is alive and well in Saskatoon...


Homphobia - the insecurity of being hetero-sexual

(Saskatoon) - It appears that some ToonTowners still harbour some kind of homophobia. I was in 7-Eleven the other night picking up some smokes, when the male next to me in line says:

"Buying a couple of fags, eh?" The clerk said "What was that?" To which the male repeated, "Buying some fags, eh?" (I heard him the first time...)

The clerk asked him a second time, "What was that?", to which he replied, "Buying some things, eh?"

Hmmm. he was, I believe making reference (clever in his mind to the old nickname of cigarettes as 'fags'... I guess he noticed because I insist on wearing some sort of 'flair' (See 'Office Space' for a definition of 'flair'...)

Anyways, I am on my way again and was again shown that ignorance of LGBT people and issues, breeds fear, and that breeds homophobia.

I passed the comments off (had about 30 years 'listening experience' to homophobic slurs...) but then decided to post this anyway - I wonder if many others 'think' the same thoughts, but don't say anything. Not sure which one I prefer....

No comments: