***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Saturday, January 17, 2009

What the Election of Barack Obama means to me


The election of Barack to the Whitehouse as the Commander-in-Chief is really important to me. Obama represents a shift --- indeed a change -- also hope for a new America. An America that is more tolerant of minority groups.

I do not belong to a 'visible' minority group --- but I do belong to a minority group all the same. How is this possible you ask, when I am a white middle class male -- generally the majority rather than anything else?

It's easy - an invisible minority is someone who is not outwardly different - and blends in with other folks - even though they may be different on the inside.

Such is my case. Outwardly - I belong to White-Middle class- males - but inward I belong to the GLBT minority group.

My rights are routinely stomped on even when people do not know that they are doing this. Not being able to hold hands in public without the fear of some kind of backlash, constantly reminds me that I am somehow not normal. Being gay is 'normal' for me just as being straight is 'normal' for you.

However, even though I am 'Out' as a gay man - I am still reminded constantly that I have to be vigilant that something I do or say may entice either hurting words or possible physical attack.


Why do some people feel more comfortable with two men holding guns than holding hands?


So, until that changes, I will always be reminded that I am different - a square peg in a round whole without the full complement of rights that the Canadian Constitution has promised me.

May Barack be an inspiration to Canada.



--laterz


No comments: