***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Microsoft Hires Seinfeld to Bite Apple


Apple keeps pummeling Microsoft in its ads, and yadda yadda yadda, the world's largest software maker plans to hire comedian Jerry Seinfeld for its new marketing campaign, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Continually painted by Apple and other rivals as uncool and unsafe, Microsoft plans to spend US$300 million on a new series of advertisements designed around its "Windows Not Walls" slogan that will feature Seinfeld and Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates.

Seinfeld will take home $10 million for his role in the spots, the report said, citing people familiar with the situation.

Microsoft is not only trying to turn around a stodgy corporate image, but also wants to reverse recent product misfires, including the Windows Vista operating system and the Zune digital music player.

Apple has rubbed in Microsoft's lack of success and highlighted its own winning streak in a series of "Mac vs. PC" ads.

The campaign is on mow, and is being produced by advertising agency TBWA/Chiat/Day.


*PCWorld

1 comment:

STAG said...

Kind of interesting Wiz, right now I am shopping for a new 'puter, and am thinking of getting a Mac, only because I hang around a lot of artsy people who are sold on macs. I recognize that Mac ads don't sell a product, they sell a "feeling" or a "lifestyle". Excellent marketing.

(I put this purchase off for a few years after I discovered I had Configsafe, and it works a treat!)
They always ask me "well, what are you going to use your computer for?", and I answer, "Well, downloading videos from questionable sites, playing video games, building and updating my web page, and doing my taxes. Does anybody every use it for anything else?" To this end, most any 'puter will do, including my 1995 IBM which is running Win 98. In fact, if Win '98 was still supported, I wouldn't bother!
My engineer buddies all want me to get IBM puters with linux systems... and I have discovered that normally people don't use but one system. If they use a PC at work, they are forced to accept whatever their IT guy at work gives them....rarely as satisfactory as the one at home no matter what it is. Occassionally it is the other way around....they can't afford to have as good a performing computer at home as their company provides. So the comparisons don't seem to add up.

Its all very confusing. And what with all the new stuff out there...memory sticks replacing cd's, touch screens, and multi-gig ram memory, dual, triple and quad cores, remote storage, and I think I'll just get some more ram for my vintage tower, and a few memory sticks, and wait for the computer bubble to burst like the housing market. Its possible that fairly shortly, the home computer is going to go the way of the home audio system. That is to say...a decade of polarization and arguing over which is good, better, or best, to the point of "high end or nothing". And often nowadays, its "nothing".


Regards....I'm goin' fishin'.