***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Wind makes mission tougher

Vancouver man in-line skates across Canada for lung cancer research
By Cassandra Kyle of The StarPhoenix


In-line skater Richard Ralph can't wait to travel through the Rocky Mountains.Richard Ralph can't wait to travel through the Rocky Mountains.

For a man whose mode of transportation is a pair of in-line skates, some would think he's taken a few too many spills without a helmet. But Ralph, who is in-line skating across the country to raise money for lung cancer research, is just tired of the Prairie wind.

"I know there's not a lot left so that keeps me going, but the Prairie wind is so unbelievable - I have to fight to get through this," said Ralph, 28. "I have a feeling I'll enjoy the mountains a bit more than the wind in the Prairies."
Ralph rolled into town Saturday afternoon after an 80-kilometre trek from Kenaston to the city, facing wind gusts upward of 50 km/h. On Friday, Ralph made his best distance since he started his journey in Newfoundland on May 5, travelling 150 kilometres in one day. Going from a smooth 40 km/h on Friday to a struggling 10 km/h in only 24 hours takes a toll on his health.

But the Vancouverite knew in-line skating through multiple marathons each day over a span of 10,000 kilometres wasn't going to be easy. Still, he wanted to do something big when he decided to raise money for cancer research after a friend fell ill. Ralph said he will be the first man to blade across the country when he rolls though Victoria and loops back to Vancouver to finish his trip sometime in early September. He hopes to raise $300,000.

"Running and walking and cycling have been done. I wanted to do something different," he said. "As I started looking into it, it all fell into place and the next thing I know I'm in Newfoundland."

With most of his trip behind him, Ralph says he's more determined than ever to complete the route.

"I've come way too far, I can't foresee any obstacles that I won't be able to get through. I don't know what else Mother Nature can throw at me, but I'll get through it," he said.

Ralph's parents, Brian and Bev Ralph, are travelling with him to ensure his safety on the road. The retired teachers say they've never been prouder of their son.

"There are going to be days that are really tough emotionally and physically. He knew he would face that wind going east to west," Brian said. "As parents we see him very differently than the public does, so it's very obvious to us when he's tired, but at the same time we're very proud of him."

Donations to Ralph's cause can be made in person or online at www.seetheend.com ckyle@sp.canwest.com


No comments: