***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Simon Cowell sorta apologizes...and more "Idol" nonsense

Cowell calls a contestant a 'Bush-Baby'Out of all the terrible singers featured in Wednesday's episode, Kenneth Briggs (who has since asked to be called Michael Swale) was the one everyone was talking about because Cowell said he looked like "one of those creatures in the jungle with massive eyes." " A Bush Baby."

"The fact that I'm 47 years old coming to America talking about bush babies is sort of surreal. I think it was an off-the-cuff remark I made, and if he's offended, then I'll apologize. I'll never call anyone a bush baby again."

Pressed about the matter, Cowell rolls his eyes. He will be contrite, but he bears little patience with anyone's browbeating. Except maybe his own.

"There are times, trust me, when I watch [episodes] and I just think, 'God, I wish I hadn't have said that,' and, 'Why do they put it in the show?' " he says. "But we are prepared to show the warts as well as just the good things. ... I think that's why the audience trusts us."

It's commendable for a TV star to stick to his guns in the face of public rebukes over unpopular positions, particularly his take on Jennifer Hudson, who lost "Idol" but now is winning awards for her role in "Dreamgirls," and his disdain for Taylor Hicks, last year's "Idol" champ.

Hudson "should come back on and gloat," Cowell says. "You gotta remember I was one of her main supporters in the beginning. If it hadn't been for 'Idol,' she wouldn't have been picked to do 'Dreamgirls.' The public voted her off, not me, [although] I don't think she was good enough to win the year she was on."

"Idol" host Ryan Seacrest said last week that judges influence viewers' votes. But Cowell says, "Obviously not, because Taylor Hicks won last year.

"I still say Taylor Hicks was not the best singer on 'American Idol 5.' I think he was the most popular. And at the end of the day, record sales will prove me right or prove me wrong."

Tell me. Where is Cowell incorrect anywhere in these comments? I say, "GET A LIFE COWELL!"


No comments: