***Disclaimer***

Disclaimer: The Wizard of 'OZ' makes no money from 'OZ' - The 'Other' Side of the Rainbow. 'OZ' is 100 % paid ad-free

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Crash



My head was hiding in the clouds
Trusting in Canada’s worth
Then Stephen Harper became PM
I came crashing down to earth

I thought we cared for human rights
It’s clear that was an illusion
The pride of feeling patriotic
Replaced with remorse and confusion

Only straight men are created equal
The rest just can’t compare
A government discriminates
And no one seems to care

I see now that our civil rights
Are fragile and complex
Once they take them away from you
Who will they come after next?

Tolerance is a Canadian value
At least that’s what I thought
The vote has proven something else
Now I know it’s not

Who cares if they are homophobes
Elect them anyway
After all, the only ones who lose
Are lesbian and gay

Elect the party of discrimination,
Of ignorance, of hate
Perhaps this land is not your land
Perhaps it’s not so great..

Canadian Pride


Katherine Gall

*Gall is a women’s studies and sociology student at the University of Winnipeg.

1 comment:

STAG said...

Katherine's poem is very nice. However, for the life of me I cannot name any particular discriminatory laws passed by the Harper government. There does seem to be a sort of neglect to further the issues created by the former Liberal party. Is this what she refers to?

Pierre Trudeau said "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation". I wish this were so. As far as I can see, the neglect of affairs in the bedroom is a good thing.