Friday, March 31, 2006

Keeping Kids Safe Online


Keeping kids safe online

By Johanna Ambrosio

I'm no expert, but I am a parent of three teenagers who, thankfully, have been safe so far. My reaction to the news about Microsoft jumping into the monitoring space with a free tool to be available this summer is that it sounds great, but I hope parents realize that the use of any monitoring software isn't by itself enough to guarantee kids' safety.

I think anyone in the computer industry already knows this and certainly understands the dangers that lurk. But I worry there may be some parents who too readily trust a tool to take the place of their (human) care and concern. Parents must still be parents, and older teens especially must be made aware of their responsibility in this, too. With freedom comes great personal responsibility, both online and offline, and kids need the adults in their lives to both explain and model this.

--more--

Download IBM's Powerpoint (mostly US based but informative for all) on the internet and internet safety here.

No comments: